Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Old Deseret Village

When mom came in August, we got to go down to the old Deseret Village up on the mountain in Salt Lake. We only had a little bit of time so had to rush through in just an hour and a half or so, which is SO not enough time. However, it was enough time that now I have enough pictures for two blogs. I'll do the rest in the next day or two. I loved going through all the old cabins and seeing just how little room a family of 6 or 7 would have. Sometimes one room, and if lucky a little loft for the children to sleep in. And I thought my 1000 square foot house was small.





Yes, the pictures are out of order, but Goose got to see what it was like to do laundry way back. It sure made me more than grateful for my washer and dryer! What a process. And lets not even imagine making the soap!


























This was a fun little house to go to. The kids got to card their own wool and then the lady would spin it on her loom. I loved watching how the yarn was made. So much more work than running to walmart or a craft store. We are so lucky.
















I got to get a "shave" because Goose was too shy to do it herself. Wonder what was up. Maybe she thought it was a real razor. She's not normally shy, as most of you know!









I loved all the hats. Wouldn't it be fun to wear things like that sometimes now?




Yes, she did manage to hit my hand with the little mallet, but had so much fun trying to do the stamping into the leather, that it was ok. Unfortunately, it was so busy Goose didn't have time to get a good piece of leather, so this one was pretty thick and didn't stamp the design so well.




















We got the pattern for doing these braided rugs. That was really fun.









I LOVED this little baby basket. Isn't that adorable? I can just see a baby sleeping in there.








Watch out! The water in the basin is cold! Just kidding. There wasn't really water in it. Can you imagine shaving and getting ready in a little basin like this?

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Good times, love the pictures of Goose.

Rebecca said...

What a fun outing. Sometimes I want to go back to "simple" times like that...but then again, I too am grateful for warm water. I love the hats.

Jared and Amy said...

Fun pictures!!!